Spring is a time for re-birth, a new beginning. For Christians last week was the most important week of the year. Passion plays, Palm (passion) Sunday, the excitement of Easter morning are examples of this energy. As a college football fan, in particular a UGA fan, the most important week in MY CALENDAR starts this weekend!
A quick recap the UGA 09/10 sports year (stats thru Mundy Thursday)
- Football: .500 in conference; 3rd in the East; had the most “L’s” in the CMR era (5)
- MBB: 5-11 in conference; 5th in the East; 11th overall (out of 12); no post season
- WBB: struggling to be .500 in conference (9-7); blown out by 40 points in Sweet 16.
- Hardball: 1 conference “W”; Team ERA over the age of my youngest daughter who’s in the 4th grade!!! - Ugggg. 6 games under .500
- Gym DAWGS: Finished 3rd in SEC championships; clearly knocked off the
balance beampedal stool as THE Program.
- M&W Golf: Both teams ranked, but each behind 3 other SEC teams, and Men are behind Tech!
- M&W Swimming and Diving: M-4th; W-3rd
- M&W Tennis: Both 2nd in conference & division – due to overall record
- M&W Indoor Track: both 5th
- W Competitive Kickball (aka Soccer): 3rd
- Softball: #8 in polls; however 3rd in SEC East
- Volleyball: 8-12 in conference; 5th in Conference
- Equestrian: Awwburn knocked DAWGS of their high horse in Southern Championship.
Hopefully that changes STARTING SATURDAY! A return to the Golden Era starts by players who play like they give a damn between the hedges. As legendary coach Erk Russell would say, I want to see “A Bad Case of THE WANTS!” So long as no UGA QB doesn’t have a UT Nick Stephens stats line from his last scrimmage (2 for 9; 6 yds), I don’t care about numbers.
Like it not Football drives both the cash and credence, confidence of the entire athletic department….and my calendar.